15 Tips for a Smooth Move with Kids
Moving to a new home can be an exciting but overwhelming experience, especially when you have children. Kids add the extra challenge of working even harder to keep everyone calm and collected throughout the process. It’s important to take the time to properly plan and prepare for the move in order to ensure a smooth transition for your family. Here are some tips to help you successfully move to a new home with kids.
1. Involve your kids in the process – Your children may feel anxious about the move, so it’s important to involve them in the process as much as possible. This can include letting them help pack their own items and choosing their own bedroom decor. This will not only give them a sense of control over the situation, but it will also help them feel more invested in the move. Also, if they’re old enough, be honest with them about any challenges you might face along the way and listen patiently to any concerns they may have. This will help them feel more comfortable about the transition, and allow them to be part of the decision-making process.
2. Create a schedule – Moving can be chaotic, so it’s helpful to create a schedule to keep everything organized. This can include tasks such as packing, cleaning, and coordinating with movers. Having a clear plan in place will help reduce stress and ensure that everything gets done in a timely manner.
3. Hire professional movers – This is probably the best piece of advice we can give you—hire professional movers! Trying to move everything yourself will only add to your stress levels and make things more difficult than they need to be. By hiring professionals, you can rest assured that your belongings will arrive at your new home safe and sound, freeing up your time to focus on other things (like keeping your kids happy).
4. Set aside special items – It can be comforting for kids to have a few special items with them during the move. Set aside a small box or bag with a few of their favorite toys, books, or other items to keep them entertained during the move. This will give them something familiar to hold onto during the transition.
5. Keep routines in place – It’s important to try to maintain as much of your normal routine as possible during the move. This can include bedtimes, meal times, and other daily activities. Maintaining some sense of normalcy will help your children feel more secure during the transition.
6. Have a plan for the first night – The first night in a new home can be stressful, especially for kids. Have a plan in place for what you’ll do on the first night, such as setting up a temporary sleeping area or ordering takeout. Having a plan will help your family feel more settled and comfortable in the new space.
7. Unpack the kids’ rooms first – Unpacking the kids’ rooms first can help them feel more at home in their new surroundings. This can include setting up their beds, toys, and other items as soon as possible. The sooner they have a sense of familiarity in their new space, the more comfortable they will feel.
8. Explore the new neighborhood – One of the best ways to help your kids feel at home in their new neighborhood is to explore and get to know the area. Before your moving date, go on walks, visit local parks and playgrounds, and check out nearby amenities. This will give your children a chance to discover new things and make new friends.
9. Stay in touch with friends and family – It’s natural for kids to feel a sense of loss when moving to a new place. Help them stay connected to their old friends and family by putting in a special effort to send more emails, have more video chats, or send care packages. This will help them feel less alone and more connected to the people and places they left behind.
10. Research schools and childcare options – If you have school-aged children, it’s important to research the schools in your new neighborhood. Look for schools with good ratings and programs that align with your child’s needs and interests. If you have younger children, consider researching childcare options in the area, such as daycares or preschools.
11. Pack a separate bag for essentials – Make sure to pack a separate bag with all the essentials your family will need on the first day in your new home. This can include items such as toiletries, a change of clothes, and any medications. Having these items easily accessible will make the first day in your new home much more manageable.
12. Set up a temporary workspace – If you or your children need a designated workspace, make sure to set one up as soon as possible. This can be as simple as setting up a table and chairs in a quiet corner of the house. Having a designated workspace will help your family stay organized and focused during the move.
13. Don’t forget to take breaks – Moving can be physically and emotionally draining, so it’s important to take breaks when needed. Set aside some time for your family to relax and recharge, whether it’s watching a movie together or going for a walk. Taking breaks will help prevent burnout and ensure that everyone is feeling their best during the move.
14. Make sure your new house is child-proofed before move-in day – Take some time to go through your new home and child-proof any potentially dangerous areas, such as the kitchen or bathroom. This will give you peace of mind on moving day and make settling into your new home that much easier.
15. Hire a babysitter or ask for help – If you have young children, consider hiring a babysitter or asking a trusted friend or family member to watch them while you handle the more intense aspects of the move. This will give you the opportunity to focus on the tasks at hand and ensure that your children are safe and well-cared for.
Overall, the key to a successful move with kids is to stay organized and focused on making the transition as smooth as possible. By following these tips and being proactive, you can help your family adjust to your new home and start making new memories in no time. Moving to a new home can be a daunting task, but with careful planning and a positive attitude, it can also be a wonderful opportunity for growth and new experiences.